Winter Health and wellbeing
The first thing to remember about winter, is that it is not just about colds and flus, all sorts of health conditions can flare up.
This is because we tend to spend more time indoors and spend prolonged time under heating, and whilst our bodies want to hibernate and it really feels like there are less hours in the day, we are part of a society that expects as many hours of work/play/social time as in summer.
We also tend to take on typical winter behaviors, being inclined to move less and eat heavier richer foods.
Here is a list of some common health issues that exacerbate in winter:
· Aches and pains (muscle and joint aches, arthritis, pain , headaches, fibromyalgia)
· Cold and flu (sore throat, headache, sinus infections, hot and cold temps, runny or blocked nose, voice loss, cough).
· Lung and resp dx (bronchitis, asthma, lung infections, chronic cough)
· Fatigue ( chronic fatigue flare ups or generalized lethargy)
· Low mood and depression (cant be bothered’s, anxiety, depression, seasonal affective disorder – SAD , winter blues)
· Kids illness ( croup, tonstilitis, asthma, cough)
We see these conditions in clinic all the time, but definitely they are on the rise at this time of year. Luckily, there are many strategies specific to winter that can minimize the symptoms for you.
Keep a look out on our Facebook and Instagram page for winter tips, competitions and winter specials.
RUG UP: Winter can increase the likelihood of certain illnesses.