THIS FERRARI DRIVER, ALLEGEDLY CLOCKED AT 233KPH ON HUME FREEWAY AT WANGARATTA, TELLS COURT HE WILL CONTEST DANGEROUS DRIVING CHARGE
Court told driver to contest dangerous driving charge
THE driver of a Ferrari allegedly clocked at 233kph on the Hume Freeway in February will contest a charge of dangerous driving because he believed the vehicle could safely drive at that speed.
Wangaratta lawyer Nancy Battiato, representing the accused NSW man Carlo Hallacq, said her client would plead guilty to the speeding charge but not to the dangerous driving charge or witness claims that he was tail-gating other vehicles.
“He denies tail-gating but admits the speed alleged but believes it was not a dangerous speed and his vehicle could manage it,” Ms Battiato told Wangaratta Magistrate Court on Monday.
Magistrate David Faram smiled and he raised his eyebrows and said, “Is that right?”
“If he considers that’s not a dangerous speed we should forget the contest mention and just set a hearing date. That’s not to mention the unlicensed driving.”
Ms Battiato argued for a contest mention which was granted and will be held on November 8 at Wangaratta.
Magistrate Faram was told Mr Hallacq had previ- ous speeding and traffic convictions in NSW and “a couple in Victoria”.
Magistrate Faram checked the accused’s driving record and noted “I have here 30 pages of speeding convictions”.
The Ferrari’s alleged speed is believed to be the highest recorded by Wangaratta Highway Patrol officers in living memory.
The incident earlier this year went down in freeway folklore after the driver allegedly told police at the time the reason for the excessive speed was “there weren’t many cars around so I thought I’d give it a bit of a squirt”.