Hoax evacuates school
Drouin Primary School students and staff were evacuated on Thursday morning after the school office received a bomb threat. The threat was later deemed a hoax. Police believe the threatening call was linked to other threatening and similar calls at schools around the state on Thursday.
Police said the school received a telephone call at about 10am. The caller told the staff member there was a bomb in the school.
Police said the school enacted its emergency management plan.
When police arrived, all staff and students were on the school oval. They then moved to the Drouin Recreation Reserve oval.
Police conducted a thorough search of the classrooms before deeming the area safe.
A post on Facebook alerted parents that the “school is locked down and no one is to arrive at school. All children have been safely moved to Drouin Recreation Reserve. We will be here for a few hours.”
“We would like parents to come and collect your child from the rec reserve. You must sign your child out with their teacher. You cannot go to school and get your bag,” the school announced.
The school announced just after noon that staff and students had returned to the school and it was safe for any students who had been signed out to return to the school.