Crows team to beat in Re­serves

Warragul & Drouin Gazette - - LIFTOUT -

Long­warry con­tinue to be the team to beat in the Re­serves, kick­ing away in the fi­nal quar­ter to over­come per­re­nial fi­nal­ist War­ragul In­dus­tri­als and ad­vance through to the grand fi­nal.

Lit­tle sep­a­rated the sides, although bet­ter ac­cu­racy helped the Crows to a nar­row quar­ter time lead. The In­dus­tri­als had re­turned a waste­ful 1-5 in the first term as the sides bore the brunt of the worst con­di­tions of the day.

Scores were locked at 5-6 apiece at half time, and it was the Crows who were able to edge ahead to take a one-goal lead into the fi­nal change.

Hav­ing lost just the one match this sea­son, the Crows were able to fin­ish strong­est with three goals to one to run away and win, 11-13 (79) to 88 (56).

PaulWil­liams proved dif­fi­cult to stop, fin­ish­ing with six goals.

Mark Light, Thomas Hargeaves, Ben McKenna, An­thony Salce and Jack An­ning also helped the Crows kick away.

Scott Lind­say, Sam Davies, Mur­ray King­will, Brent Kimm, Jai Jose and Scott Blaney helped keep the In­dus­tri­als in the con­test for much of the game.

Blues to de­fend

Reign­ing un­der 18s premier Catani have won the op­por­tu­nity to de­fend their ti­tle.

Hav­ing won through from the qual­i­fy­ing fi­nal, the Blues proved up to the task against a fan­cied cats out­fit that had been yet to lose a game this sea­son.

The Blues held a nar­row lead through­out the first half and were able to kick away in the third term, with three goals to one ex­tend­ing their lead to 13-points at the fi­nal change.

De­spite be­ing held to just one be­hind in the fi­nal term, the Blues were able to hold on in the damp con­di­tions.

Afi­nal quar­ter goal en­sured the Cats would chal­lenge but they ul­ti­mately ran out of time, go­ing down 8-5 (53) to 7-6 (48).

Lauch­lan Greg­son and Len­nard Ed­ward­sHayes each kicked three goals, while Liam Adams, Ja­son Cox, Ron­ald Smith, Lach­lan Sep­pings and Kiam Rose also helped the Blues book them­selves an­other grand fi­nal ap­pear­ance.

Justin Lock­ett, Rhys George, Jackson Saun­ders, Kyle Bright, Cooper Clancy and Isaac Fuller en­sured the Cats were al­ways in the con­test.

Crows draw blood

Long­warry drew first blood in their bat­tle with War­ragul In­dus­tri­als in the un­der 16s.

Both teams have proven a cut above in the un­der 16 com­pe­ti­tion, and this time it was Long­warry who pre­vailed 5-6 (36) to 4-3 (27) to book the first place in the grand fi­nal.

De­spite not scor­ing in the sec­ond term the In­dus­tri­als took a nar­row five-point lead into half time.

The Crows their move in the third term, scor­ing three goals while keep­ing the In­dus­tri­als to just one be­hind to open a 14point buf­fer at the fi­nal change.

The In­dus­tri­als hit back with two goals in the fi­nal term to send the match to the wire, but the Crows were able to score a steady­ing goal to book them­selves into the grand fi­nal.

While An­gus Adamiak was kept quiet, Brodie Bould stepped up to kick three goals for the Crows.

Bai­ley Osseweyer, Matthew Kouris, Har­ri­son Stephens, Seth Ash­ton and Liam Quar­rell also helped the Crows to vic­tory.

Damian Bar­reto, Matthew Clynes, Har­ri­son Perry, Xavier Ford, Darcy Whe­lan and Lach­lan Crook helped the In­dus­tri­als push the game into the fi­nal min­utes.

War­rag­ulIn­dus­tri­als player Jackson Perry leads in the race for the ball, but is quickly caught by Long­warry op­po­nent Paul Wil­liams.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.