Snapshot of the past
A photograph of Warragul Shire surveyor Dick Morgan (left) travelling to inspect the hydro-electric scheme near Toorongo Falls past Noojee, c.1920s.
This photograph was supplied by Dick Morgan’s grandson John Davies, a resident of Abbey Gardens in Warragul.
The hydro-electric scheme operated on the banks of the Latrobe River, east of Noojee.
Warragul was lit by gas lights in 1887 but it wasn’t until 1922 that the town had electricity connected.
In 1918, the River Latrobe Hydro-Electric Co. Pty Ltd was granted a franchise to supply power to the County of Buln Buln. The company was formed by a group of Warragul businessmen, initially to supply power to many sawmills in the area.
A race six miles long carried water from the Toorongo River to a dam located on a hill east of the Noojee township. The water travelled through penstocks to the powerhouse on the banks of the Latrobe River.
Information courtesy of the Warragul and District Historical Society.
If you have any additional information about this photograph, please contact The Gazette on 5623 5666 or editorial@warragul gazette.com.au.