Ac­cused drug dealer on bail

Youth fronts court on drug, wil­ful dam­age charges

Warwick Daily News - - NEWS - Molly Glassey

A TEENAGER ac­cused of deal­ing drugs and scratch­ing his name into a jail cell has re­ceived bail.

Jack Wil­liam Mor­ri­son was due to be sen­tenced in War­wick Mag­is­trates Court yes­ter­day, and was trans­ported from his cell in Toowoomba for just that.

How­ever the sen­tence date was ad­journed un­til March 3 while Mor­ri­son sat wait­ing in the War­wick watch­house.

In­stead of or­der­ing Mr Mor­ri­son back to Toowoomba to wait in jail for two months, Mag­is­trate Be­van Man­they granted bail to the 18-year-old.

“There’s been a bit of a stuff-up,” Mr Man­they told the ac­cused.

“I didn’t want you here to­day ... you should do another month.

“But I’m go­ing to get you bail, with con­di­tions.”

Mr Man­they asked Mr Mor­ri­son about how he fared dur­ing his first time in jail.

“There are two types of peo­ple,” he said. “Peo­ple who want to be in jail and those who don’t want to be.

“Which one you are?”

“I don’t want to be there,” Mr Mor­ri­son replied.

“Bit of a wake-up call?” Mr Man­they re­torted.

The young War­wick man faces 17 charges, in­clud­ing sup­ply­ing dan­ger­ous drugs and pub­lic nui­sance.

Po­lice al­legedly found ec­stasy, mar­i­juana, scales and a grinder in Mor­ri­son’s car when he was pulled over on Locke St in De­cem­ber.

Po­lice charged him with a num­ber of drug-re­lated of­fences, as well as driv­ing with­out a li­cence and two charges re­lat­ing to num­ber plates.

The teenager was taken to the watch­house, where po­lice re­ported he scratched his name on the wall.

He was de­nied bail ear­lier on De­cem­ber 13, how­ever Mr Man­they said the time be­tween now and his sen­tence was op­por­tune to rec­tify his al­leged mis­takes.

In other court news

A FA­THER of seven blamed stress and anx­i­ety for kick­ing a po­lice of­fi­cer.

Wayne Bradley Bel­lette told the court he had been drink­ing due to fam­i­lyre­lated wor­ries when he at­tacked the of­fi­cer.

“I handed in a writ­ten apol­ogy let­ter to the po­lice sta­tion,” Bel­lette told the court.

“(The po­lice of­fi­cer) said that he ac­cepted by apol­ogy and ba­si­cally said I was highly in­tox­i­cated at the time.

“I told him I couldn’t re­mem­ber and I was only told by peo­ple I was act­ing in­ap­pro­pri­ately.”

The po­lice of­fi­cer was re­spond­ing to a noise com­plaint caused by a party held at Bel­lette’s home when the ac­cused lashed out.

Since be­ing charged, the court heard Bel­lette found a job, moved out of town, stopped drink­ing and en­gaged with coun­selling ser­vices.

“I’ve just moved out to Wil­dash,” he said.

“I’ve been work­ing 6am to 6pm.”

Mr Man­they sen­tenced Bel­lette to 100 hours of com­mu­nity ser­vice and warned the re­peat of­fender against re­turn­ing to court.

“I’m see­ing you more than I’m see­ing my mis­sus,” he said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.