Court told man killed son be­fore footy fi­nal

Weekend Courier - - Front Page -

A FA­THER ac­cused of killing his son did so be­fore sit­ting down to watch the AFL grand fi­nal, the Supreme Court heard re­cently.

Ernest Al­bert Fisher ap­peared on Mon­day for the first day of his trial for the mur­der of his son Matthew Kyle Fisher-Turner in 2016.

His chil­dren Han­nah Fisher-Turner and Joshua Fish­erTurner also ap­peared in court on charges of be­ing an ac­ces­sory af­ter the fact. All pleaded not guilty. The trial was set down for three weeks.

State prose­cu­tor Laura Chris­tian, who gave her open­ing ad­dress, said grand fi­nal day in 2016 was a mem­o­rable day for footy fans but it was mem­o­rable to Ernest Fisher for an­other rea­son; it was the day he killed his son.

“He had made the de­ci­sion to kill his son ear­lier but chose that morn­ing and used his two chil­dren to clean up and bury the body,” she said.

“Matt was killed be­cause he wanted to use the car.”

“Ernest thought, ‘I’m not hav­ing it’ so he de­cided to get two large knives and kill him.”

She said Matthew was killed in his brother’s room and was stabbed two to three times in his chest, with the fa­tal wound per­fo­rat­ing his lung.

“He im­me­di­ately threw the knives in the coun­cil bin and started dig­ging a grave but did not fin­ish; foot­ball was a pri­or­ity and he did not want to miss the grand fi­nal,” Ms Chris­tian said.

She fur­ther ar­gued sib­lings Joshua and Han­nah both cleaned up the scene, with Joshua bury­ing the body in the back­yard.

When Matthew’s friends and fam­ily be­gan ques­tion­ing af­ter he failed to re­turn phone calls and texts, they were told he had moved out.

“Ernest told peo­ple Matt had gone over east with a ‘chicky-babe’,” Ms Chris­tian said.

“He told this story to sev­eral peo­ple.”

Later, in po­lice in­ter­views, he ad­mit­ted to hav­ing killed his son.

Ms Chris­tian said there had been yelling and a fight min­utes be­fore Matt was stabbed and that he had pre­vi­ously told Ernest “the wrong par­ent died”.

Matt’s mother, Gill Fisher, died from can­cer in 2014.

Mr Fisher’s de­fence lawyer Sam Van­don­gen ac­cepted that Ernest had killed his son and claimed self-de­fence.

“Ernest ad­mits to po­lice to killing his son with two sharp knives he got from the shed,” he said. “Why is the ques­tion. “When their mother died from can­cer, it badly af­fected the fam­ily.

“It badly af­fected Ernest and Matthew.

“Whether this led to mur­der, no one can say.”

He said the house had been left un­kempt and the youngest child did not have a room but slept on a couch.

He said Matt had di­rected much anger and vit­riol at the fam­ily and was vi­o­lent and ag­gres­sive to Ernest.

Matthew Kyle Fisher-Turner died in 2016.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.