MORE RAIN AND BIG WINDS ON WAY

Weekend Gold Coast Bulletin - - NEWS - EMILY HAL­LO­RAN emily.hal­lo­ran@news.com.au

FORE­CAST­ERS are warn­ing of pos­si­ble flood­ing in north­ern NSW and say Gold Coast­ers should ex­pect rain to bucket down this week­end, with al­most 100mm ex­pected.

Bureau of Me­te­o­rol­ogy spokesman Chris Joseph said it was un­likely storms would oc­cur, but the Gold Coast should ex­pect the rain to build up.

“For the Gold Coast, it’s just go­ing to be rain,” he said. “For Satur­day, it’s ex­pected to be 15-25mm of rain. Sun­day will be the peak with an ex­pected 25-50mm.”

The bad news is that the rain is ex­pected to con­tinue through­out next week.

“Mon­day is more show­ers around 8-25mm,” Mr Joseph said.

“Tues­day a lit­tle less, and it will start de­creas­ing over Wednesday and Thurs­day.”

NSW SES op­er­a­tions com­man­der Mark Somers warned of pos­si­ble dam­ag­ing winds in the North­ern Rivers. AS­SIS­TANT Trea­surer Stu­art Robert has re­paid nearly $38,000 for his home in­ter­net us­age af­ter a pub­lic out­cry.

The Mem­ber for Fad­den came un­der fire af­ter it was re­vealed the in­ter­net us­age at his home cost $2832 in May while he was a back­bencher and he had charged more than $1000 ev­ery month, dat­ing back to 2016.

Last week Mr Robert’s of­fice said he would re­pay about $20,000 but yes­ter­day, fol­low­ing com­ple­tion of a Depart­ment of Fi­nance in­ves­ti­ga­tion into his in­ter­net us­age, Mr Robert con­firmed he had re­paid $37,975.

He said the charges for 4G in­ter­net “were not in line with com­mu­nity stan­dards’’.

“The Depart­ment of Fi­nance set it up and ap­proved it as they do with ev­ery MP,” he told the Bul­letin. “I recog­nise that the ex­cess charges are not in line with com­mu­nity stan­dards and I have al­ready paid it back in full.”

Mr Robert ini­tially de­fended the amount, say­ing he had been forced to use 4G be­cause of poor in­ter­net con­nec­tions at his Nerang home.

The Bul­letin last week re­vealed that the Gold Coast MP would pay back what was ini­tially said to be more than $20,000.

Mr Robert vowed to get the NBN in­stalled at his house to re­place the pre­vi­ous con­nec­tion.

Spe­cial Min­is­ter of State Alex Hawke con­firmed the amount had been re­paid vol­un­tar­ily.

“Whilst the Depart­ment of Fi­nance ap­proved the cur­rent in­ter­net so­lu­tion, very high ex­cess data charges have un­der­stand­ably caused con­cern,” he said.

Pic­ture: RICHARD GOSLING

Don’t put the um­brel­las away just yet.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.