Look fresh-faced and fabulous at any event
When someoneit comesto get to ready helping for a special day, the most common request makeup artists hear goes something like this: “I want to look like a knockout, of course, but I also want to look like myself.” And it makes perfect sense.
Preparing for a day when you’re set to be in the spotlight – and knowing you’ll have to smile for approximately 17,000 photos – is more than enough to take in, so looking in the mirror and not connecting with your reflection because the makeup applied isn’t truly ‘you’ is not going to serve you or help you stay calm.
The more comfortable you feel on the day, the more you’ll be able to relax and enjoy every moment – which is exactly what you deserve after you’ve planned everything down to the teensiest detail. You’ll want to look like you’ve been sleeping perfectly for months on end, even if that’s far from the truth, and have the kind of dreamy, dewy, lit-fromwithin glow that almost every 22-year-old in the universe takes for granted. So here’s what to do: follow our step- by-step tutorial for a natural, fresh-faced look that flatters every face shape.
The best part is once you’ve mastered the following howto, you’ll have discovered the perfect base for special occasions, but one that’s so naturally beautiful, you can apply it any day you like.
So that’s one less thing to worry about. The base
1. Napoleon Perdis Auto Pilot Radiance-boosting Primer, $55. If you’re going to take this whole thing seriously, you need to start with a primer that’s going to help to hold your foundation in place as well as moisturise your skin. Less is more, so lightly swipe on a small amount and allow it to absorb for at least 60 seconds.
2. Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-place Flawless Wear Concealer SPF 10, $38. Add a dab of concealer to your chin, the under-eye area, the tip of the nose and anywhere else you want to reduce the appearance of blemishes and improve your complexion. Lightly tap concealer on with a fingertip.
3. Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-place Makeup SPF 10, $54. 4. Beautyblender Original makeup sponge, $30. Sweep a long-wearing formula foundation onto your face with the help of a Beautyblender (wet the blender, give it a squeeze, then start buffing). Bonus points go to a base that doesn’t easily transfer onto clothes and has built-in SPF.
5. Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow Face Sculpt & Highlight, $97. For a radiant glow, use a brush to apply highlighting powder along the brow bone (above and below the brow), across the top of cheekbones, down the length of your nose and on the centre of your cupid’s bow.
6. Cover FX Bronzer in Sunkissed, $44. Next, add a little bronzer for some sunkissed colour, and to sculpt and define features. Blend it into the sides and tip
of your nose, into your temples, below your cheekbones, along the jawline and across the very top of your forehead.
7. IT Cosmetics Superhero Eye Transforming Anti-aging Super Palette, $68. Brush a very light eye shadow across the entire eyelid and up to the brow bone to act as a primer. A blend of two or three neutral shades works best for a dewy daytime look. Brush the medium shade across the lid and along the socket, then dab a small amount of the darkest shadow on the outer corner of the eyelid and upwards into the crease. Finish by adding the lightest shade to the inner corner of the lid and across the brow bone so it brightens those areas.
8. Revlon Colorstay Brow Crayon, $25.95. Run a brow crayon along the lengths of your eyebrows to help fill in any gaps and create full, face-framing brows.
9. Revlon Colorstay Brow Pencil, $23.95. Finish with the finer tip of a brow pencil for all-day definition, then blend with a brush for a naturallooking effect.
10. Genie Million Dollar Lash Kit, $39.95. Finish eyes with mascara. To enhance lashes and help them appear fuller, apply a primer product before adding two layers of mascara on top. Start at the base of your lashes, then slowly brush up to the lash tips. A mascara with a water-resistant, smudgeproof formula is your friend.
To help lip colour last longer and stay uniform, dab a tiny amount of concealer onto your lips and allow it to dry before applying gloss or lippie.
11. Lanolips Tinted Balm SPF 30 in Perfect Nude, $14.95. When it comes to lip colour, a subtle shade is universally flattering and perfect for a big day, and a formula that nourishes lips and provides sun protection ticks all the right boxes.
12. MAC Retro Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo, $36. Stash a bold red lippie in your clutch to take your look from dinner table to dance floor once the sun goes down. A matte formula that shades and defines lips as well as bringing a bright pop of colour is perfect. All you need to do is apply and you’re good to go. #