FROM SOCIAL MEDIA
FOUR well-known independent Subiaco stores are closing in the coming months. The Western Suburbs Weekly broke the news last week that Elizabeth’s Bookstore is shutting down this month after 28 years on Rokeby Road. Very sad. Subiaco is dying a slow death. It used to be vibrant and a great place to spend a weekend arvo.
-Western Suburbs Electrical Seems it will soon be a competition between Rokeby Road and Bayview Terrace on vacant retail spaces.
- Luke Garratt If the landlords stop putting up the unreasonable rent then maybe these small businesses might just be able to operate from these premises. Not only that, we have to endure the cost of the high overheads of electricity and staff wages. There are absolutely no incentives for small business to continue to start up or trade. It is a State that is continuing to divide our population into the rich and poor in many ways. WA is a doomed nanny State.
- Par 3 Indoor Golf So sad. Perth (not just Subi), needs to get over itself.
- Gemma Gaston Thank you for highlighting that it is very difficult to operate a profitable business in Subiaco. My rent has doubled in 10 years. My customers always complain to me about parking but when I try to explain this to the councillors some are very rude and say their studies say there is no parking problem. I know of another four, possibly five, businesses closing in July. You would think that if this Rokeby Road market was going to be so great, people would wait and see but actually they have their reservations
and are leaving.
- Wioletta Kot How sad, can’t like such a good store being closed.
- Bronwen Woolcock They had so much good stuff in stock too. Hopefully they do a sale. - Tom Jurkiewicz