Programs won’t be cut
SHENTON College principal Mike Morgan says he would dip into the school’s reserve funds before losing vital programs.
Mr Morgan said Shenton’s student numbers had increased from 1400 last year to 1900 at the start of this year but disagreed with claims by the State School Teachers’ Union that funding for the school had been slashed.
“The funding is based on the student centred funding model,” Mr Morgan said.
“It takes into account aboriginality, disabilities, socio-economic background – these are commendable areas.
“We have a reserve budget of about $500,000 and would exhaust reserve funds before cutting important services – the board has endorsed it.”
Mr Morgan said state schools finalised their student census figures on Friday and would have a definitive budget to work with by the end of the month.
Churchlands Senior High School principal Neil Hunt said numbers at his school increased from 1553 last year to 2270 this year.
Mr Hunt said he had absolutely no problems with the budget.
“It is business as usual for us,” he said.
“We were probably six students out with our projections last year. I’m expecting the budget to be within $50,000 to $100,000 of what was projected and it certainly won’t be less.”
Education Minister Peter Collier said claims that many WA schools would face drastic budget cuts were untrue.
“Preliminary Student Centred Funding budgets were initially released in July,” Mr Collier said.
“This was to help schools plan for the new funding model and it was made clear they would be updated once complete 2014 figures were available and this happened in December.
“Where a school had a decrease, this was simply because their original budget was overstated.”
Mr Collier said 46 per cent of schools have had no change to their preliminary budget and 75 per cent of schools have either no change or a change of less than two per cent in their 2015 budget after transition.
“This new funding model is fair and equitable and replaced a complicated, broken funding system,” he said.