SUBIACO REMOVES LAST POWER POLE
ROME was not built in a day and Subiaco was never going to install its entire power network underground over a single weekend.
The City of Subiaco became the largest local government in WA to bury all its powerlines after Western Power removed the last power pole in Shenton Park last week.
Councillor Mark Burns, who served on Subiaco council when the decision to install its power underground was made in 1982, said he could still recall the debate in council chambers.
“I remember one councillor saying: ‘You know much this is going to cost?’ and I said: ‘What, you think we’re going to do this over a weekend?’” Cr Burns said.
“It’s great that we’ve done it.
“This should be an example for how long important projects take; the sooner you start, then the sooner you finish.”
Subiaco has converted about 10,000 properties from above to underground power since starting the project 33 years ago.
Energy Minister Mike Nahan and Subiaco Mayor Heather Henderson helped the State Underground Power Project complete the remaining works at Smyth Road on March 4.
“This has been a more than 30-year dream for the City of Subiaco, and that dream has finally turned into reality,” Dr Nahan said.
The City of Subiaco and the State Government’s public utilities office and Western Power co-funded the works.
Energy Minister Mike Nahan and Subiaco Mayor Heather Henderson look at the last pole to be removed from the City of Subiaco.