‘Reassured’ by revocation
REVOCATION of Governor’s orders to abolish the City of Subiaco and create a new Subiaco-Cambridge council was published in the final edition of the Metropolitan Local Government Reform Update last Friday.
Subiaco chief executive Ian Hill said the revocation enabled staff to prepare a post-reform report for the council and “wrap up this chapter” in Subiaco’s history.
“This is the trigger for us to report back to the council in the context of hopefully finalising the whole legal appeal situation,” Mr Hill said.
Mayor Heather Henderson said she was “very reassured” that Governor Kerry Sanderson’s orders had been revoked.
“We may have a late item to complete the post-reform process at council next week, or possibly a special council meeting after that,” Mrs Henderson said. “They (State Government) are now pursuing the capital cities City of Perth Act, so we now have to watch that one and see where it’s going.”
THE revocation of Governor’s Orders that would have combined Subiaco and Cambridge in to one council was an anticlimax last week. The process was announced in what will be the last Local Government Reform email update from the State Government. A year ago, I would have expected this announcement to be front-page news. Reform is officially dead. But is it? Speculation continues about the future of the City of Perth Act that will influence a mooted City of Riversea in the western suburbs. And then there’s the possibility a future government could revisit council amalgamations. Premier Colin Barnett’s announcement a few weeks ago that the reform process was over left me emotionless. Some councils (like Vincent) were celebrating, others such as Cambridge saw it as a lost opportunity and several riverside councils in the western suburbs were left scratching their heads. I’m not throwing away my notes on this issue; it will continue to rear its ugly head.
Denise S. Cahill - Editor