Oswals yet to respond on ‘Taj’
PEPPERMINT Grove Council will immediately seek a State Administrative Tribunal nod to demolish the unfinished ‘Taj-on-the-Swan’ mansion if its owners do not appeal a final order expected to be sent this week.
“We’ll go straight to the SAT to get the order approved, but it could take up to another month to get a hearing,” chief executive John Merrick said.
On May 24, the council agreed that mansion owners Radhika and Pankaj Oswal be told to tear down their Bay View Terrace mansion.
They will have 21 days to appeal the final building order after it is emailed to their Sydney lawyers before Friday; four months after the council declared the mansion to be unfit for human habitation because it has remained untouched since Mrs and Mr Oswal left Australia in 2011.
The council understood the Oswals would appeal any demolition order but there had been no reply from the May 24 decision yesterday.
Mr Merrick said if there was no appeal and the SAT approved the demolition, tenders would be adver- tised and the mansion could be brought down by the council midyear.
An Oswal appeal to the higher Supreme Court may have to be argued on a point of law or procedure, rather than the SAT’s power to confirm the council’s demolition order.