PARTY OVER AT OSWAL MANSION
POLICE are on alert for last-chance Halloween and Christmas partygoers at Radhika Oswal’s unfinished mansion, which will be demolished after an agreement at the State Administrative Tribunal last week.
“Our concern is Halloween, and we will be actively making sure the property doesn’t get trespassers, as it’s a dangerous site, that’s why it’s fenced off, and anyone we find in there will be prosecuted,” Senior Sergeant Carol Vernon said.
Sgt Vernon said senior officers were told immediately of the agreement and a long-term police response in co-operation with Peppermint Grove Council would be developed to stop use of the mansion for private parties before a September 30, 2016 demolition deadline.
After meeting Peppermint Grove Council at SAT last Tuesday, Mrs Oswal’s Perth lawyer Julius Skinner said his client had abandoned plans to complete the mansion and it would be investigated if the six-block site could be redeveloped.
Peppermint Grove president Rachel Thomas said the council was “pretty pleased” at the potential end of 11 months of negotiations with Mrs Oswal, costing the council about $650,000, after her mansion was left incomplete in 2010.
The council and the Oswals were due at a full SAT hearing about the mansion’s future on November 9 but a formal demolition order from the council is now expected to be issued this Friday.
“Mrs Oswal has now indicated she wishes to stage the demolition,” Mrs Thomas said.
However, allegedly remaining rates owed to the council would still have to be recovered.
Mrs Oswal’s Sydney lawyer Rebekah Giles said the council’s timetable for the mansion to be completed had been “unrealistic and unachievable” during previous negotiations.
Ms Giles said it had yet to be decided whether a new building would be built on the mansion’s six lots, or whether the lots would be sold after the demolition, for which “experts” would now be employed for pre-demolition work before Christmas.
“We will continue to patrol the site and make sure it’s secure,” she said.