FROM SOCIAL MEDIA
Overwhelmed by the “exorbitant” amount her classmates spend on their high school ball, Methodist Ladies College student Jonica Stick launched Dressless4refugees campaign to raise at least $5000 for Oxfam. The front-page report was the most popular article ever posted on Western Suburbs Weekly’s Facebook page, reaching more than 53,000 people and gaining a total 1100 likes, comments and shares. Jonica’s campaign struck a chord with thousands of readers across WA, with many comments saying they wished their school would also take up the initiative. $5000 on school ball dress? That’s disgusting. Parents should be ashamed of themselves.
- Sally Schwartz What a great idea - good on them.
- Katie Roberts Have it on the oval, every family brings a plate and all the dresses come from an Op Shop. Let’s make it real Methodist Ladies’ College.
-Steph Cullingford That’s a gorgeous idea!
- Rachel Steward Wow! What an incredible person! Great to see the young generation leading the way & setting such a great example to all of us.
- Sarah Brolsma Thank you for taking this stand and I fully support this campaign. My daughter is in Year 11 at a local school and I would definitely endorse this. - Gillian And the girls will have more fun salvaging, OMG doing their own hair and makeup. What has the world come to!
- Vanessa Stephen So glad someone has initiated this.
- Julie Savill Great reflective thinking. Be proud of yourself. I hope I raise my daughters to be able to think like you when they grow up.
- Genevieve McMullan We need more people thinking this way. - Karen Lamond Smart girls. Well done. You will still have a wonderful night X