Late re­vival hands UWA its first win

Western Suburbs Weekly - - Sports - Tris­tan Tay­lor

A LATE re­vival from UWA gave them their first win of the sea­son (5-4) against Sham­rock Rovers FC af­ter their 3- 0 half- time lead was quickly over­turned by Rovers early in the sec­ond half.

UWA started the stronger side and barely five min­utes had passed when Michael Vla­sich put the home side 1-0 up.

The de­fender’s shot was noth­ing short of unstoppable as the ball rif­fled into the top cor­ner.

Shortly af­ter­wards, UWA dou­bled their lead through Lloyd Prout.

Rovers were care­less in pos­ses­sion, play­ing it out from the back, and Prout was on his toes to cap­i­talise on a poor pass from the Rovers cen­tre-back to make it 2-0.

But An­drew Xy­das failed to fin­ish off a smooth pas­sage of pass­ing play, his effort go­ing straight to the keeper from in­side the box.

Tris­tan Tay­lor also had a great chance from a Rob­bie Black cor­ner, but the full­back steered his effort wide.

UWA ex­tended their lead just be­fore half-time, cour­tesy of Alex Kre­tow­icz.

John O’Reilly had his boys fired up af­ter the in­ter­val and they re­sponded al­most in­stan­ta­neously.

A free kick on the right wing was met by a closerange header, leav­ing goal­keeper Ran­jeet Sekhon with no chance and bring­ing Rovers back into the game.

UWA were still re­cov­er­ing from the goal when Rovers hit them again to re­duce the gap to one goal.

Matthew St­ef­fen­son failed to deal with a dan­ger­ous cross in from the left wing and the Rovers for­ward pinched it off his toes and buried it home.

The away side were play­ing with new­found con­fi­dence and their come­back was al­most com­plete when they drew level mo­ments later.

A brisk counter-at­tack down the right wing left UWA short at the back and Rovers cap­i­talised.

A cross was met by a tow­er­ing header from the Sham­rock mid­fielder whose late run into the box was left un­marked by the UWA de­fence.

With the scores tied at 3-3, Sham­rock were look­ing likely to com­plete their come­back, and surely enough they did.

A free kick on half­way was played to the cor­ner flag, which was chased down su­perbly by the Rovers winger.

A dan­ger­ous ball into the box wasn’t held onto by Sekhon and the Sham­rock for­ward was quick to cap­i­talise on the keeper’s spill and make it 4-3 to the away side.

With his side strug­gling for an­swers, Janssen used all his sub­sti­tu­tions and brought on the mid­field trio of Richard Olsen, Marc Zagami and Bryce Con­way to bring a bit of vigour into the mid­dle of the park.

Prout al­most found an equaliser af­ter he found him­self on the end of a through ball from Xy­das, but Rovers keeper Yousri Gharsal­lah was equal to the task.

With 10 min­utes to go, UWA’s pres­sure was fi­nally re­warded with an equaliser.

Both sides were hun­gry for a win, but it was UWA who stole the three points in the fi­nal min­utes of the game.

Kre­tow­icz fin­ished Rovers off af­ter a touch and fin­ish from a su­perb cross- field pass from Black.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.