Gutsy United work hard for win

Western Suburbs Weekly - - Driveway - Tris­tan Tay­lor

UWA were worn down by a hard­work­ing For­rest­field United out­fit and beaten 5-2 in their State League Division 1 match on the week­end.

United were sec­ond last on the lad­der, but had been ex­tremely com­pet­i­tive, and they started strongly, putting UWA on the back foot from the first kick.

UWA strug­gled to keep pos­ses­sion and United be­gun mount­ing pres­sure on Ran­jeet Sekhon’s goal, forc­ing the keeper into a cou­ple of early saves.

United fi­nally broke through af­ter 15 min­utes when a Rhys Lox­ley corner was fired home by Jor­dan Hart.

It didn’t take United long to dou­ble their ad­van­tage when a free kick on the right wing was played quickly and the re­sult­ing cross was tapped in from close range by Liam Mer­ri­gan.

UWA fi­nally picked up their game fol­low­ing the sec­ond goal.

Strong mid­field com­bi­na­tions from An­drew Xy­das and Bryce Conway started to break down the United back four and UWA’s pres­sure broke through on the half-hour mark.

Conway played Lloyd Prout in down the right and the mid­fielder’s ball was taken down by Alex Kre­tow­icz, who slid it past the United keeper.

With the ma­jor­ity of the ball, it didn’t take long for UWA to draw level.

Conway picked the ball up in mid­field and split the United de­fence in two with a sump­tu­ous ball over the top.

Kre­tow­icz latched onto the ball and slot­ted it home to make it 2-2 at half­time.

UWA took their mo­men­tum into the sec­ond half and started off bet­ter.

On the hour mark, United had their first chance of the half and it led to a goal. UWA were caught flat at the back and a de­light­ful through ball from mid­field played through United striker Sani Sin­clair.

The for­ward found him­self one-onone with Sekhon and calmly picked his spot in the bot­tom corner to give United the lead.

UWA be­gun to push num­bers up front in search of an equaliser that saw gaps emerge in the back­line.

Sin­clair found him­self one-on-one with Sekhon yet again and was fouled by the UWA keeper as he at­tempted to round him.

Sekhon was given his march­ing orders by ref­eree Bren­dan Skin­ner and Sin­clair stepped up to take the penalty.

The United for­ward fired home into the bot­tom right hand corner to score his sec­ond for the game and give United a 4-2 lead.

In an attempt to sal­vage any­thing from the game, UWA were left short at the back and United made them pay on the break.

Play broke down their right flank and a cross was fired home by a Ben Rodgers vol­ley.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.