Compensation claim over boundary changes
CITY of Subiaco has confirmed it will seek financial support from City of Perth over forced boundary changes in the City of Perth Act.
The City stands to lose $44 million in revenue over the next 10 years once the changes come into effect from July 1 and will account for a 7 per cent rise for Subiaco ratepayers.
City of Subiaco chief executive Don Burnett said the changes would have significant financial implications.
“The changes will result in a $1.4 million deficit per annum in losing the south ward,” he said
“We have had discussions about receiving support from the City of Perth. They will be receiving a revenue windfall and our council thinks it is only fair we receive some support.”
A City of Perth spokeswoman said negotiations regarding financial support were under way.
Subiaco south ward councillor Lynley Hewett will be forced out of council once the changes come into effect.
Cr Hewett said she was sad to be leaving the council and would be representing people from south ward at a community meeting tomorrow night.
“I think the changes are completely unnecessary,” she said.
“I’m an anaesthetist and losing part of the south ward makes me feel like I’ve lost a patient on the table.”
Cr Hewett said there had been no consultation about the changes from the cities of Subiaco or Perth.
“We are entitled to know,” she said. “We pay rates and we should have the right to be consulted when decisions are being made.”
City of Perth will hold an information session regarding the boundary changes tomorrow at Hollywood Subiaco Bowling Club from 6pm-7pm.