Bulls in up­set win over Ned­lands

Western Suburbs Weekly - - Work Place - Fraser Smith

KALAMUNDA has pulled off a thrilling one-point up­set over Ned­lands at the Fore­shore to re­claim the Rug­byWA Cup in the Pin­dan Pre­mier Grade Match of the Round.

In a de­fen­sively ori­en­tated first half, the con­test looked to be evenly split be­fore a num­ber of er­rors and costly penal­ties came back to bite Kalamunda and al­lowed Ned­lands to take a 12-3 lead into the break.

Kalamunda ral­lied af­ter the break to hold Ned­lands to just three sec­ond-half points and se­cure their big­gest scalp of the sea­son to date with a 16-15 vic­tory.

Kalamunda coach Josh Heke said the win was a mas­sive re­sult for his side and their fi­nals as­pi­ra­tions.

“In five years of coach­ing Kalamunda this is only the sec­ond time we’ve beaten Ned­lands at home, so it’s a big re­sult for us,” he said.

Af­ter the dom­i­nat­ing play in the open­ing 10 min­utes, Kalamunda opened the scor­ing via the boot of Hamish Buick, who struck truly af­ter the home side were pe­nalised at the break­down.

Ned­lands re­sponded 10 min­utes later, earn­ing a penalty and opt­ing for the li­ne­out, lead­ing to a per­fectly ex­e­cuted move where Joe Ritchie found scrumhalf Michael Ruru dart­ing through the front of the li­ne­out to cross the line for the first try of the match.

Kalamunda came out fir­ing in the sec­ond half. From the re­sult­ing scrum Leo Auvva picked up from the back, be­fore Mark Royal drove the ball over the line a few phases later.

Buick con­verted to re­duce the deficit to just two points, putting Kalamunda right back in the con­test.

Af­ter dom­i­nat­ing at scrum time all af­ter­noon, Kalamunda got rewarded for their ef­fort, earn­ing a penalty di­rectly in front of the posts just 15m out and Buick made no mis­take to put the Bulls back in front 13-12.

Af­ter spend­ing the ma­jor­ity of the sec­ond half camped in their own half, the Bulls looked to drive down the other end with less than five min­utes re­main­ing in the game. Af­ter chip­ping off valu­able me­tres with ball in hand, the Bulls earned a penalty just 25m from home which Buick nailed to push the vis­i­tors back in front 16-15.

Be­gin­ning from be­hind half­way, Ned­lands looked to roll the dice to find a win­ning score with two min­utes to play but a for­ward pass handed pos­ses­sion back to Kalamunda.

The Bulls held strong to win the scrum and boot the ball into touch to re­claim the Rug­byWA Cup for the first time since round five.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.