Freo bridge restriction to continue for repair works
VEHICLES weighing more than 15 tonnes can once again use the troubled, 1930s-built wooden traffic bridge between Fremantle and the western suburbs.
“Following a recent closure of the bridge structure to enable emergency underwater bracing repairs, permanent strengthening repairs are now being undertaken,” a Main Roads spokesman said late last month.
Traffic weighing more than 15t was prevented from using the Fremantle bridge between June 27 and July 4.
In April, tremendous inconvenience was caused to traffic after discovery of erosion at the bottom of several of the bridge’s pylons caused it to be closed for repairs for several days.
The spokesman said the restriction was put in place for safety reasons.
He said no more restrictions were planned after the 15t limit was raised to the standard 42.5t on July 4.
Fremantle MLA Simone McGurk has been campaigning for a new road bridge, which could also allow separation of freight and passenger trains.
“We have consistent engineering advice that the road bridge needs replacing, and that would be better spending than these ongoing repairs,” Ms McGurk said.