Subiaco steps up to chal­lenge

Western Suburbs Weekly - - Training Education - Kane Sut­ton

SUBIACO se­cured its third win of the sea­son with a com­pre­hen­sive 2-0 win over lad­der rivals Perth Glory in the National Premier League’s WA com­pe­ti­tion on Satur­day.

Ian McMur­ray was on tar­get in the first half be­fore Michael Law­son dou­bled the lead in the sec­ond.

Subiaco coach Mick Brazil said he was thrilled with his team’s abil­ity to keep the op­po­nents score­less.

“We chal­lenged (our players) to back it up af­ter last week – we worked all week on not con­ced­ing silly goals and I think I’m right in saying that’s our first clean sheet of the year,” he said.

“We changed the full-backs a cou­ple of weeks ago… we brought in young James Oliver, and on the other side Dy­lan Andrews – both of them are 17, 18, so it is re­ally pleas­ing.”

Perth Glory coach Josh Gib­son said the vic­tors were more pre­pared for the wet weather, which saw heavy rain falling on the pitch for most of the game.

“We knew it was go­ing to be scrappy – it was all about game man­age­ment for us and un­for­tu­nately we didn’t do that,” he said.

“We had a lot of good op­por­tu­ni­ties that we didn’t take… we hit the post about two or three times and we con­ceded a cou­ple of re­ally soft goals.”

It was a tight con­test from the out­set, both teams tak­ing ad­van­tage of the con­di­tions to pro­duce chances on goal.

A slip in the wet saw Subiaco striker McMur­ray lash his foot out at the ball, which was lobbed over the goal­keeper’s head in the 16th minute.

Glory con­tin­ued to cre­ate chances in the first half, but Subiaco’s de­fence was strong and stopped many scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties.

Glory cap­tain Joseph Knowles gave Nic Tal­imdzioski a great chance shortly af­ter the first Subiaco goal with a crossed ball into the box, but his strike hit a post and rolled out of play.

Tal­imdzioski had an­other sig­nif­i­cant chance be­fore the break – a shot from directly in front – but it was blocked by James Oliver.

One such oc­ca­sion saw Knowles burn off two de­fend­ers to streak down the left wing only to have his shot graze the top of the cross­bar.

A minute later, Tal­imdzioski was given a free kick to take just out­side the box, but his shot hit the cross­bar and went over.

Glory goal­keeper Ni­cholas Feely was given a yel­low card soon af­ter for a hand­ball as he ven­tured out­side his box to de­fend.

The sub­se­quent free-kick by Ni­cholas Feely was con­verted for a goal as the ball de­flected into the net from the de­fend­ing wall.

Subiaco has moved to within a point of Perth Glory on the lad­der.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.