CEO: Indiana issue still with council
MELBOURNE-BASED Red Rock Entertainment apparently had until last Thursday to tell Cottesloe Council if it wants to continue leasing the Indiana restaurant on Cottesloe Beach.
“If there is no indication, we’d have to look at that on August 4, but it’s not a simple answer; we’d have to work through it and meet with them then,” Cottesloe chief executive Mat Humfrey said before the deadline.
Asked yesterday if there had been any indication from Red Rock, Mr Humfrey said the issue was still with council and Red Rock lawyers had been in “constant communication” during confidential talks.
However, Mr Humfrey said a joint statement would be released as soon as the parties were able to do so.
In April, the council claimed a contentious 50-year land lease for the site was in default because Red Rock had not said if it would continue with 15- and 10-year options, following an initial 25year component, said to expire on August 4.
On May 10, Red Rock served the Town with a Supreme Court writ after being given a breach of lease notice.
At the Cottesloe Residents and Ratepayers Association annual general meeting on July 28, Mr Humfrey said if Red Rock did take up the lease options, the company still faced the “hurdle” of the repairs the council claims are needed at the building.
At the meeting, residents claimed long-term bookings were not being taken at the restaurant, there was no advertising and tourists interpreted it to be closed.
“I’ve dared to walk in at 10am to 11am in the morning for a cup of coffee, only to be told ‘sorry, we’re not open’,” resident Tim Evans said.
The Indiana on Cottesloe Beach.