TOWN of Cottesloe councillors have added their weight to the proposed subdivision of two R20 blocks totalling 1666sq m after they ‘called in’ the application before it went to the WA Planning Commission (WAPC).
The council’s staff had already rejected the proposal for 25 Mann Street, Cottesloe, claiming it was not orderly and poorly planned because the four new lots would not have been regular rectangles.
At last month’s council meeting, Crs Sandra Boulter and Sally Pyvis asked that councillors also consider the application.
Cr Boulter said she had been informed the new lots wanted by owners JWS and AE Loh could be undersized.
The staff said that was not the case, because two 380sq m lots created by dividing the first block and two potentially of 450sq m from the second block all satisfied average (450sq m) and minimum (350sq m) lot sizes.
However, if a footpath to one of the smaller blocks was removed, it would be only 320sq m, and if all the new lots had been rectangular they would not meet required sizes.
“In that case I want to add councillors’ weight to the staff’s rejection as it goes to the WAPC,” Cr Boulter said.
The house straddling the second block, a 1915-built Edwardian bungalow by architect Alfred Riggs, has category three protection on the council’s heritage list.
It would be demolished if the full subdivision to create four new lots was approved.
Cr Katrina Downes said it was still a “beautiful home” which would be a “shame” to demolish.
It was agreed that councillors would add their objection to the proposed subdivision when it is heard by the WAPC after December 9.
Ben Hamblin has been awarded Curtin University’s top scholarship.