Bad time with slime after Instagram advice
A KARRINYUP mother is warning parents against a ‘slime’ fad that left her daughter with chemical burns to her hands and triggered an auto-immune response.
The slime craze is popular among teenagers, according to a 13-year-old girl at a local public high school, who made the slime with friends after seeing it on Instagram account ‘Slime Queeens’, which has 1.1 million followers.
Her mother, who did not want to be named, said her daughter and her friends had made the slime with readily available ingredients such as Borax, shampoo and shaving cream.
“She has suffered with painful burns, blisters, sores, peeling skin and intense itching on her hands and feet for six weeks now,” she said.
“She has never had eczema or any other skin issues previously; we have been told that the eczema is now most likely a lifelong condition she will need to manage.
“It was almost like her skin was being eaten from the inside out; it was awful.”
The 13-year-old girl said slime Instagram pages were popular among her friends.
“When you play with it it is really satisfying; people can put food colouring and glitter and styrofoam balls in it,” she said.
“I didn’t realise it could be dangerous.” She said her hands began peeling a week after touching the slime and felt “stiff and itchy” and she had to take steroid tablets, antibiotics and cortisone creams.
“I couldn’t do netball, it is hard to write, doing normal stuff; it hurt even doing my hair and stuff like that,” she said.
A Department of Education spokeswoman said the Department was not aware of any incidents involving the homemade slime.
A Consumer Protection WA spokesman said products should be used as they were intended and consumers should heed warnings on labels.
The teenager may suffer from a lifelong condition as a result of contact with the slime.
Slime Queeens’ Instagram page.