Bail refused for man accused of torture
A MAN who has been in custody since January 2013 had his application for bail refused in the Proserpine Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
Jason Ryan Felthouse stands charged with kidnapping, torture and three counts of assault occasioning bodily harm. The offences allegedly occurred in Cannonvale on January 19 and 20.
Defence solicitor Sherrie Meade said Felthouse was initially arrested in September 2012 on about 41 different charges, 28 of which he pleaded not guilty to. The offences of torture, kidnap and assault, for which he was arrested in January 2013, are alleged to have happened while these matters were still ongoing. Ms Meade said Felthouse was immediately remanded in custody due to the suggestion that he was not an appropriate person to be granted bail. However, she claimed there were “a lot of inconsistencies” in the witness statements and raised the point that many of Felthouse’s previous charges had been dismissed.
Police prosecutor Elizabeth Cassells maintained that Felthouse should remain in jail, partially due to a risk of interfering with witnesses.
Ms Cassells also said that with Felthouse’s history of significant violence, breaching bail and failing to appear, “effectively he’s the full gamut of concerns for the court when considering bail”.
Ms Meade said these were opinions, not fact.
“It could be possible Your Honour that maybe he’s innocent and he should be given the opportunity to prove his innocence until proven guilty,” she said.
Magistrate Ron Muirhead ruled that Felthouse was an “unacceptable risk” and on these grounds bail was formally refused.
The matters are expected to proceed to trial in the District Court some time later this year.