Points to consider when choosing an agent
AS WITH other professions, the level and style of service offered by real estate agents will vary from one agency to another. Deciding which agent will handle the sale of your home is likely to be one of the most important decisions you will make in the selling process.
According to the Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ), a professional and experienced agent can be the difference between a sales success story and a real estate disaster.
“Sellers are encouraged to shop around for an agent they feel will provide them with the type of service and the results they want,” REIQ managing director Dan Molloy said.
“A good agent’s level of customer service should be complemented by their detailed knowledge of all relevant laws and regulations, extensive property market knowledge, advertising, marketing and promotional expertise, and good negotiation skills.
“These qualities are key to providing a professional service that eases home sellers through the real estate process.”
This is what your agent should do for you when selling your property:
- Use market analysis and comparative sales techniques to determine the value of your property;
- Formulate an effective marketing plan which you agree to;
- Ask you to complete minor repairs before listing the property and maintain the presentation of the property during the sale period;
- Negotiate with potential buyers on your behalf; and
- If your property is a unit or townhouse, they will also ask you for property details to complete a disclosure state- ment that the law requires be given to potential buyers. Mr Molloy added that sellers should look for a REIQ accredited agency, for the added security of knowing the agent is accountable to the Standards of Business Practice and Consumer Complaints Tribunal.
Mr Molloy said that one of the best ways to establish an agent’s reputation is to speak to people you know, particularly those who have sold property in the same area.
“A good agent knows that word-ofmouth referrals are an excellent source of new business. These agents are dedicated to maintaining a high standard of customer service,” he said.
It is important for consumers to be aware that not all real estate agents are REIQ accredited agencies. The REIQ accredited agency logo serves as a visual safeguard to help consumers make informed and confident choices.