Business damaged by fire
A SIGN writing business in Cannonvale has not re-opened after being damaged in a fire late Friday night.
Whitsunday Police said a staff member at ASAP (Any Signs and Printing) had been working late when the fire started about 10.20pm on Friday.
The man had been working on some signs when he left a piece of equipment unattended that led to the fire.
Whitsunday Police Sergeant Brad Teys said that there were no suspicious circumstances.
“The damage caused by the fire was minimal but there was some smoke damage. Nothing much was burnt,” he said.
A Queensland Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said they were called to the fire about 10.20pm. The building was not on fire when they arrived and the blaze had been contained in the single-storey building, he said.
There was smoke coming from the area and crews went inside the building, extinguished it, and ventilated it before leaving, the spokesman said.
The Whitsunday Times tried to contact ASAP by phone but was unable to reach them for comment.
BUSINESS ABLAZE: Emergency services at the scene of a fire in William Murray Drive in Cannonvale, which damaged a business on Friday night.