Cars break down af­ter heavy rain

Whitsunday Times - - LOCAL NEWS - By Sharon Small­wood

CAN­NON­VALE res­i­dent Alis­tair Sawyer said he was fum­ing when he was told that wa­ter in the fuel was re­spon­si­ble for the break­down of his car.

Mr Sawyer be­lieves BP Can­non­vale is re­spon­si­ble for the wa­ter in the fuel.

BP Can­non­vale has con­firmed there were a small num­ber of com­plaints about E10 fuel ear­lier this month but say tests have es­tab­lished there is now no wa­ter in any of the site’s fuel tanks.

Mr Sawyer, a self-em­ployed builder by trade, re-fu­elled his work util­ity at the ser­vice sta­tion at 4pm on Thurs­day, Jan­uary 30, as Trop­i­cal Cy­clone Dy­lan was ap­proach­ing the Queens­land coast.

He said his car did not even make it out of the petrol sta­tion be­fore stop­ping.

“Ten me­tres from the bowser it just stopped, conked out, stalled.”

Mr Sawyer said he waited for an hour for the RACQ to ar­rive, by which time he de­scribed him­self as “wet, ex­hausted and want­ing to get home”.

“They couldn’t work it out – they tried ev­ery­thing,” he said.

Mr Sawyer said the next day he re­ceived a call from the RACQ say­ing a num­ber of peo­ple in the area had bro­ken down, with the cause de­ter­mined to be wa­ter in the fuel.

He then took his car to a lo­cal re­pairer, where the bill to have it re­paired came to more than $1200.

Mr Sawyer said BP was will­ing to pay for the re­pair work and the cost of the fuel, but only if he signed a deed of re­lease, re­leas­ing BP from all li­a­bil­ity in re­la­tion to the com­plaint.

“I’d pre­fer not to have my money than sign that,” he said, af­ter pay­ing the bill him­self.

A spokesper­son for BP con­firmed that on Mon­day, Fe­bru­ary 3, staff at the sta­tion be­came aware of a small num­ber of cus­tomers ex­pe­ri­enc­ing me­chan­i­cal prob­lems af­ter fu­elling with E10 un­leaded fuel.

“Im­me­di­ately sales of E10 un­leaded were sus­pended and an in­ves­ti­ga­tion com­menced,” the spokesper­son said.

“Cus­tomers with me­chan­i­cal is­sues were ad­vised to im­me­di­ately lodge claims through BP’s Na­tional Fuel Guar­an­tee hot­line and ar­range to have their cars re­paired by lo­cal re­pair­ers as soon as pos­si­ble.”

The spokesper­son also con­firmed that in­ves­ti­ga­tions by third party fuel spe­cial­ists had con­cluded this was a tran­sient event, caused by large vol­umes of rain from Cy­clone Dy­lan.

“Tests have es­tab­lished that there is no wa­ter present in any of the site’s fuel tanks,” the spokesper­son said.

“BP Whit­sun­day will shortly com­mence some ad­di­tional site works to en­sure no sim­i­lar in­ci­dents oc­cur dur­ing fu­ture high rain­fall events.” Ac­cord­ing to the spokesper­son, sev­eral cus­tomers go­ing through the BP Fuel Guar­an­tee claims process re­ported their claims were in­ves­ti­gated and set­tled within 24 hours.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.