Brah­mans win by one point

Whitsunday Times - - SPORT -


THE Whit­sun­day Brah­mans up­set A grade league heavy weights on the weekend with a thrilling one point win over Souths Sharks in Mackay.

The Brah­mans went into the game with only four team runs un­der their belt and got off to a fly­ing start with winger Harry Quod cross­ing for a four pointer fol­low­ing a classy back­line move­ment from new re­cruits Phil Ra­m­age, Tuki Jack­son and Ivan Petelo.

This was fol­lowed not long af­ter by a try to half­back Ra­m­age. From there the green ma­chine went score­less into the break while Souths added 16 points to their to­tal to take the score 10-16 to Souths at half­time.

The mar­gin could’ve been larger had it not been for the game chang­ing ef­forts of for­mer English Su­per League Jack Briscoe who ran from the other side of the pad­dock to take the run away Souths winger over the side line just cen­time­tres be­fore the try line.

The sharks came out fir­ing af­ter the break scor­ing within four min­utes to take the mar­gin to 22-10.

The Brah­mans were next to cross the chalk with Ethan Gal­lop scor­ing af­ter se­cur- ing sev­eral back to back sets on Souths de­fen­sive line.

Cap­tain Anthony Black­wood fol­lowed it up with a try of his own soon af­ter tak­ing the score to 20-22 in favour of Souths.

Souths hit back quickly with a try to take them to a con­verted lead with only 10 min­utes left in the en­counter. As the game ticked into the fi­nal min­utes, full­back Josh Hard­cas­tle crossed the line af­ter a slick back­line move­ment. The cool headed Ra­m­age con­verted the try to level the scores with two mi- nutes re­main­ing.

Af­ter the restart and a suc­cess­ful at­tack­ing set, the Brah­mans found them­selves within field goal range. Ra­m­age set him­self 25m out and hit the drop goal well enough to se­cure the one point needed to take the lead with sec­onds re­main­ing.


The Brah­mans Re­serves were leading most of the first half against Souths.

Thirty min­utes in they found them­selves ahead 1612 but through lack of fit­ness were trail­ing go­ing into the half time break.

The game was de­layed go­ing into the sec­ond half due to an un­for­tu­nate high tackle to Joey Hu­lands on the stroke of half­time which saw the sec­ond half re­duced to 25 min­utes.

The Brah­mans were un­able to get back into the match even­tu­ally los­ing valiantly 36-16.

It was a great first match for the re­serves, which will be im­proved with a few more faces at train­ing.

Man of the match went to front rower Keith McNi­col.


The un­der-18s had a slow start to the first round match and were un­able to reign back the dom­i­nant Sharks.

They staged a great fight back of in the sec­ond half but were un­able to come away with the win with Souths post­ing a 34-18 win over the side.

Man of the match went to Harry Wecker.

This Satur­day sees the Brah­mans take on Norths at Les Stagg Oval with the un­der-18s kick­ing off at 3.30pm, re­serve grade at 5pm and A grade at 7pm.

Lo­cals can now sign up for the Brah­mans Army Mem­ber­ship Pack­age via www.whit­sun­dayt­ick­

WIN­NERS: Brah­man’s Tuki Jack­son and Souths Luke Vac­ca­neo. Photo Tony Martin / Daily Mer­cury

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.