Drug mat­ters lead to court

Whitsunday Times - - LOCAL NEWS -

A MT JU­LIAN man caught with drugs and uten­sils will now have to live with the threat of a prison term for the next 12 months.

Luke Mitchell Kin­n­ear pleaded guilty to two counts of pos­sess­ing drugs and one of pos­sess­ing dru­gre­lated uten­sils, in the Proser­pine Mag­is­trate’s Court on Mon­day.

He was fol­lowed in ap­proach­ing the bar ta­ble by Joanne Reeves, who stood co-ac­cused and also pleaded guilty to charges of pos­sess­ing drugs and uten­sils, as well as a charge of pos­sess­ing tainted prop­erty.

At 10.40am on Septem­ber 5, Kin­n­ear was the pas­sen­ger in a blue Kia sta­tion wagon, driven by Reeves and in­ter­cepted by po­lice on Main Street, Proser­pine.

Po­lice pros­e­cu­tor El­iz­a­beth Smith said both were known to po­lice as drug users and the car was searched.

A quan­tity of cannabis, a small set of dig­i­tal scales, a pipe, a white crys­tal sub­stance sus­pected of be- ing am­phet­a­mine and $120 cash was found.

Reeves re­port­edly told po­lice the crys­tal sub­stance was “prob­a­bly sugar” but ad­mit­ted she wouldn’t nor­mally carry it in this way.

She also claimed $100 of the money had just been with­drawn from the bank and was there to “pay bills”.

On Septem­ber 11 at 11.10pm, po­lice again in­ter­cepted Kin­n­ear, driv­ing a blue Kia van.

Ms Smith said dur­ing a pat­down search a clip seal bag con­tain­ing 0.1g of methyl am­phet­a­mine fell from his un­der­wear to the floor.

Ms Smith noted Kin­n­ear had quite a his­tory “be­gin­ning to emerge”.

“He’s just con­tin­ued with his drug of­fend­ing in my re­spect­ful sub­mis­sion and I note that the sec­ond time was just six days after [the first],” she said, adding that “a fine is no longer in range”.

“[So] where’s all this go­ing to end up?” mag­is­trate Haydn St­jern­qvist asked.

“I just went through your his­tory and put a high­lighter on all of your drug [en­tries] and I nearly ran out of ink.”

Mr St­jern­qvist sentenced Kin­n­ear to a to­tal pe­riod of six months im­pris­on­ment to be wholly and im­me­di­ately sus­pended for 12 months.

Mean­while, Reeves was placed on pro­ba­tion for 15 months.

Just a short time later how­ever, she re­turned to the court with duty lawyer Sher­rie Meade, who tried to have the mat­ter re-opened on her be­half.

Ms Meade said Reeves now wanted to plead not guilty, but Mr St­jern­qvist said he could not re­open the case with­out there be­ing an er­ror.

Reeves was told she now had 28 days to ap­peal or ap­ply for the mat­ter to be re-heard or set down for ar­gu­ment.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.