Bail refused for an ‘unacceptable risk’
A 19-YEAR-OLD Jubilee Pocket woman has been refused bail after appearing in the Proserpine Magistrate’s Court charged with two counts of assaulting or obstructing police.
Angela Michelle Winn was brought to court in police custody on Monday morning, following her arrest in Jubilee Pocket earlier that day.
Police prosecutor Elizabeth Smith said bail was opposed and she noted that Winn had “a number of other matters for court on October 24 in Mackay”.
Magistrate Haydn Stjernqvist cut her off.
“Don’t tell me she’s re-located here,” he asked.
“They should save themselves the time of driving to the beach and just stop in here [at court] on the way,” he said.
Duty lawyer Sherrie Meade made an application for bail, arguing that for the sake of totality all of the offences should be dealt with at once.
But Ms Smith said her concerns were the “significant matters” currently outstanding, with offences of July 4, August 24, October 7 and now October 13, before the court.
Mr Stjernqvist noted the offences of October 13 were committed just six days after the previous batch.
He said Winn had previously failed to appear when required and he ruled she was an “unacceptable risk”.
Winn will remain in custody until her next court appearance on October 24.