Proser­pine Mag­is­trate’s Court

Whitsunday Times - - WHITSUNDAY NEWS AND VIEWS -

Tak­ing a gam­ble

PETER John Bon­ham took more than a gam­ble when he stole from his em­ployer on Jan­uary 20.

On this day the 35-year-old lo­cal was work­ing in the Thirsty Camel Bot­tle Shop be­side the Air­lie Beach Ho­tel when a fe­male cus­tomer chal­lenged him to a gam­bling game at 4.46pm. Po­lice pros­e­cu­tor El­iz­a­beth Smith said Bon­ham played the coin game with two cash sums of $100 taken from the reg­is­ter, which he sub­se­quently lost. He also gave the woman two Heineken gift packs, tak­ing the to­tal out­lay to $265.96.

Ms Smith said he then tried to cover up the fact there was money miss­ing from the till by mak­ing four ‘no sale’ trans­ac­tions.

It was sev­eral weeks later that man­age­ment no­ticed stock dis­crep­an­cies and viewed CCTV footage from that day.

On Fe­bru­ary 4, Bon­ham ad­mit­ted what he’d done, telling po­lice he re­gret­ted his ac­tions and pan­icked.

On Mon­day he told the court he al­ways in­tended to pay the money back but hadn’t had an op­por­tu­nity since then.

“I don’t dis­pute it was a very stupid thing to do and a mo­ment I wish I could take back but I know I can’t,” he said.

Bon­ham said his ac­tions had al­ready cost him greatly.

“It’s cost me my fam­ily,” he said, beg­ging mag­is­trate Ron Muir­head not to record a con­vic­tion for an of­fence that would most likely af­fect his fu­ture em­ploy­ment op­por­tu­ni­ties and im­pact on his abil­ity to pro­vide for a young child.

Mr Muir­head fined Bon­ham $500 and or­dered him to pay $265.96 in resti­tu­tion. He agreed not to record the con­vic­tion but said “I’m prob­a­bly stretch­ing the law to the limit here”.

Just nasty

STEPHEN John Fenn pleaded guilty to a charge of tres­pass­ing in a Proser­pine yard on Oc­to­ber 11.

Po­lice pros­e­cu­tor El­iz­a­beth Smith said it was 9pm when Fenn pulled up out­side the ad­dress caus­ing the oc­cu­pants to run to the gate and close it.

She said he pushed the gate “with force” dam­ag­ing it and a pot plant.

He al­legedly then swore at the oc­cu­pants who ran in­side, locked the door and called po­lice. The 20-year-old was ar­rested on Oc­to­ber 17.

Duty lawyer Sher­rie Meade said the tres­pass charge was part of a set of eight handed up to a higher court. She said all but one of the charges did not pro­ceed with one mat­ter fi­nalised and this now the only charge still out­stand­ing.

Ms Meade said there had been “a lot of an­i­mos­ity” be­tween the com­plainant and Fenn and on the night in ques­tion “things flared up”.

“It was just nasty Your Hon­our,” she said.

Fenn was fined $400.

Highly un­usual

CODY D’Arcy Gal­lop was lucky not to have con­vic­tions recorded for of­fences of midrange drink-driv­ing and ex­ceed­ing the safe car­ry­ing ca­pac­ity of his car.

At 11pm on March 6, po­lice no­ticed his car speed­ing along Shute Har­bour Road, Air­lie Beach. He was pulled over and breathal­ysed on Water­son Way, re­turn­ing a read­ing of 0.116 per cent. He told po­lice he’d drunk six stub­bies of Sum­mer Beer at a pri­vate res­i­dence be­tween 4 and 10.40pm that night.

Po­lice pros­e­cu­tor El­iz­a­beth Smith said a woman was sit­ting in the pas­sen­ger seat of the car with an­other man ly­ing down be­hind them. She said the car only had seat­ing ca­pac­ity for two.

De­fence solic­i­tor Sher­rie Meade said Gal­lop was plan­ning to travel to Canada for work and even a traf­fic con­vic­tion for a read­ing of over 0.08 would ruin his plans.

She asked mag­is­trate Ron Muir­head not to record con­vic­tions and although he noted it was “highly un­usual”, he com­plied with the re­quest.

Gal­lop was fined a to­tal of $1100 and dis­qual­i­fied from driv­ing for six months.

Too much to drink

SHANON Luke Wil­son was told he’d “prob­a­bly had too much to drink” on the night he con­tra­vened a move-on di­rec­tion is­sued by po­lice.

The 34-year-old lo­cal was in­volved in a dis­tur­bance at the Air­lie Beach McDon­ald’s at 9.50pm on Fe­bru­ary 21.

Po­lice pros­e­cu­tor El­iz­a­beth Smith said when po­lice ar­rived he told them “it’s me you’re here for”. She said when given an of­fi­cial moveon di­rec­tion he re­fused to com­ply. He was fined $200.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.