Bushfire burns land north of Proserpine
FIRE services have been on high alert after a fire burned areas north of Proserpine earlier this week.
Multiple rural and urban fire brigades were called to the Gregory River and Mango Tree Estate areas after reports a fire was threatening homes on Monday afternoon.
A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokesperson said the fire was believed to have started on a mango farm.
Proserpine Rural Fire Brigade volunteer fire fighter Brian Little said the homes were indeed threatened by the flames, but firefighters managed to prevent any damage.
“It threatened four houses and the rurals did a wonderful job of saving them after the initial fire started,” Mr Little said.
Firefighters back-burned around the houses, removing the fuel for the advancing fires.
“We back-burned around several properties and got the fire under control on Monday night,” Mr Little said.
Although all emerged unscathed, Mr Little said the event had been a serious incident.
“The rural brigades were there from about 1pm to 9pm that night, so it was quite drawn out,” he said.
Mr Little said the fire burned large swathes of land before it was subdued.
“A couple of hundred hectares of area were burned out, I believe,” he said.
Police conducted traffic control measures on the adjacent stretch of the Bruce Hwy as smoke reduced visibility.
“The smoke across the highway was quite extensive,” Mr Little said.
No injuries were reported or property damaged as a result of the blaze.
It is not yet known what started the fire.
Anyone with any information should contact the QFES on 13 74 68.
ABLAZE: Jarrod Guthrie fights the back-burn to try and stop the bushfire reaching homes.