Repeat offender jailed for breaches of order
A CANNONVALE man who contravened a domestic violence order multiple times will remain behind bars for at least three more months.
The man appeared in the Proserpine Magistrate’s Court on Monday via a video link with the jail where he has been since also breaching his parole.
Police prosecutor Elizabeth Smith said the order, current to December 2016, had been breached on April 12 when the man threatened to shoot the aggrieved.
The court heard he was on parole for breaching orders at the time.
Duty lawyer Lachlan YgoaMcKeown submitted a four- month prison sentence was in range.
Magistrate Haydn Stjernqvist disagreed, saying he’d been dealing with this particular man for a couple of years.
“This incident had nothing to do with any financial pressures, as you tend to suggest,” he said.
(And) while it wasn’t physical in nature, as a verbal threat it doesn’t get more serious...”
Mr Stjernqvist also noted this was the man’s sixth breach in just a couple of years.
He imposed a nine-month prison term with a parole eligibility date of August 17.