Contact a mere technicality
A 21-YEAR-OLD Proserpine man described as having a “propensity for violence” will remain in custody until at least July 6.
The man, who is alleged to have punched a woman in the head, was brought before the Proserpine Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
Police prosecutor Elizabeth Smith objected to bail, saying the man’s behaviour had been a concern to the prosecution since June 1, but police were not able to speak with him at that time.
She said he finally came into police custody on Sunday, July 21, when he was arrested at a Proserpine address.
According to Ms Smith, the aggrieved in the matter fled to Proserpine and the man followed her there.
Duty lawyer Lachlan YgoaMcKeown argued against this, saying it was the aggrieved who had sought the man out, even though he believed the relationship to be over, and he didn’t instigate contact on June 21.
Magistrate Haydn Stjernqvist said the matter of who instigated the contact was insignificant.
“Something that doesn’t matter to me at all is that you didn’t go to the aggrieved, she came to where you were – that doesn’t matter,” he said.
Bail was formally refused and the man will remain in custody until his next court appearance on July 6.
This will be made via a video link.