12 months in the clink for 21-year-old

Whitsunday Times - - LOCAL NEWS -

A MAN who asked to be sent to jail af­ter punch­ing his girl­friend in the head and knock­ing her un­con­scious has had his re­quest granted by Mag­is­trate Haydn St­jern­qvist.

The 21-year-old – who can­not be named for le­gal rea­sons – ap­peared via video link in the Proser­pine Mag­is­trate’s Court charged with two counts of as­sault oc­ca­sion­ing bod­ily harm, two counts of breach­ing a do­mes­tic vi­o­lence or­der, one count of pos­sess­ing uten­sils or pipes that had been used and one count of wil­ful dam­age.

Po­lice pros­e­cu­tor El­iz­a­beth Smith told the court the man was in­volved in two sep­a­rate in­stances of se­ri­ous do­mes­tic vi­o­lence, one on June 1 and the other on June 21.

De­fence so­lic­i­tor Zoe Craven, of ATSI Le­gal Ser­vices told the court that the man had be­gun to experiment with ice at the end of last year and that it “had a bad ef­fect on his be­hav­iour and moods”.

The man re­ceived a cu­mu­la­tive 12 months in prison for all six of­fences, with a pa­role re­lease date of Septem­ber 22.

Fol­low­ing his re­lease he will then spend nine months on pa­role.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.