Tourist suffers irukandji sting
A CANADIAN tourist suffered extreme pain when she was stung in the neck by a potentially deadly irukandji jellyfish in the Whitsundays on Christmas Eve.
At 9.30am on Thursday last week, the Mackay-based RACQ CQ Rescue helicopter crew flew to Hayman Island to treat the 27-year-old woman before transferring her to Mackay Base Hospital for further specialist care.
A representative for RACQ CQ Rescue said the incident was particularly nasty as the patient had been stung in the neck area and she was in intense pain throughout the 35minute flight to Mackay.
A Queensland Health representative said the woman was discharged the following day, December 25.
Irukandji jellyfish are known to hospitalise up to 100 people annually and are found along the Queensland coast.
They can also cause fatal brain haemorrhages.
Australian Marine Stinger Advisory Services director Dr Lisa-Ann Gershwin said the region was currently in peak stinger season.
Dr Gershwin said in the event of a sting, the first priority was calling for medical help and applying vinegar.
“It’s really important to vinegar those as early as possible because, if it’s an irukandji, that will stop the stinging cells that haven’t injected their venom yet,” she said.
VERY VENOMOUS: Irukandji jellyfish are known to hospitalise up to 100 people annually and are found along the Qld coast.