‘No hes­i­ta­tion’ in res­cue at sea

Whitsunday Times - - LOCAL NEWS - By Sharon Small­wood

MIS­SION Per­for­mance crew mem­ber Gavin Reid and skip­per Greg Miller may have been aboard the last of the Clipper yachts to ar­rive at Air­lie Beach but the res­cue they per­formed at sea was worth the sac­ri­fice they made of los­ing the Henri Lloyd Hobart to Whit­sun­days Race.

Mis­sion Per­for­mance was bat­tling east coast lows off New South Wales on Day 4 of the race when the SOS came through from nonClip­per yacht M3.

Mr Miller said he had “no hes­i­ta­tion” in re­spond­ing to the call and im­me­di­ately di­verted to the stricken yacht where a crew mem­ber was stuck up the mast. In heavy seas there was no chance of bring­ing the boats along­side so 27-year-old Glaswe­gian Gavin Reid, a for­mer sup­ply chain co-or­di­na­tor with “zero” sail­ing back­ground, vol­un­teered to get in the wa­ter and head to the other boat.

Mr Reid is deaf and had to carry his hear­ing aid in­side his dry suit for the jour­ney across.

“That was what I was most ner­vous about ac­tu­ally – whether my hear­ing aid would sur­vive the jour­ney, but thank­fully it did,” he said.

Mr Reid said he re­mem­bered trans­fer­ring a dummy be­tween boats in his pre­race train­ing regime.

“But I never thought one day that could be me. It hap­pened so quickly I still can’t be­lieve I ac­tu­ally jumped off the boat in the middle of the ocean,” he said.

Mis­sion Per­for­mance was given 11 hours 39 min­utes re­dress time but it wasn’t enough to avoid last place, with the crew cross­ing the fin­ish line at 8.28am on Mon­day.

“We were hop­ing the wind would fill in and we would get a bet­ter time but that never hap­pened and it is what it is,” Mr Miller said.

“That’s ocean rac­ing and that’s some­thing that we’re get­ting used to.”

HERO'S WEL­COME: Mis­sion Per­for­mance crew mem­ber Gavin Reid and skip­per Greg Miller shortly af­ter ar­riv­ing in port.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.