Toddler killed in driveway tragedy
THE Whitsundays region is in mourning after an 18-month-old boy was hit and killed in the driveway of a home in Cannonvale. The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating the tragedy, with a 35-year-old Cannonvale man helping police with their inquiries.
INVESTIGATIONS are continuing into the death of an 18-month-old Cannonvale boy on Tuesday afternoon.
Police said initial investigations indicated the boy had been near the gutter at a driveway of a Twin Creek Court home about 3.10pm when a vehicle leaving the driveway struck him.
Police say the two men in the vehicle initially left the scene, unaware of what had happened, but returned a short time later.
The driver, a 35-year-old Cannonvale man, is assisting police with inquiries.
The 18-month-old boy was taken to the Proserpine Hospital in a critical condition but died a short time later.
Whitsunday Police Station officer in charge Senior Sergeant Nathan Blain said the Forensic Crash Unit was continuing its investigations, and would prepare a report for the coroner.
Snr Sgt Blain implored the community to be “super vigilant” when behind the wheel, particularly over the coming Easter school holidays as more kids will be about.
“This happened in a quiet street, so tragic accidents can happen anywhere, anytime,” he said.
“Talk to your children about road safety from a young age.”
TRAGIC: Whitsunday Police and Forensic Crash Unit officers investigating the incident on Tuesday afternoon.