BUS CRASH VICTIMS WANT COMPENSATION
THREE victims of a fatal bus crash are seeking compensation following recent charges laid against the driver.
Representing the trio is Shine Lawyers partner Roger Singh, who said two men and one woman had come forward to launch legal action.
“The people involved are claiming compensation for their pain and suffering and associated losses,” he said.
“Last week’s development confirmed the driver had been charged.”
On February 16, a Whitsunday Transit bus was travelling between Airlie Beach and Proserpine on Shute Harbour Rd before crashing into a ditch, killing 19-year-old Casey Stinson.
Senior Sergeant Nathan Blain, of Whitsunday Police, said a full inspection of the vehicle was conducted and the vehicle’s condition was ruled out as a cause.
He said the bus was in “sound condition” at the time.
“The inspection determined the mechanical state of the bus was not a contributing factor to the crash,” he said.
Nor was the condition of the road to blame.
The 70-year-old driver was charged with one count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.
He will appear in the Proserpine Magistrates Court on October 24.
Mr Singh said it was “regretful and sad” the driver had been charged but those involved should be provided with necessary compensation.
“They can seek compensation for pain and suffering and for the cost of any future medical assistance or rehabilitation,” he said.
“In some cases, the individuals daily activities may be interfered with as a result,” he said.
“Claims can be brought for economic loss when it’s affected their employment capacity.”
Mr Singh said he had dealt with many cases of a similar kind and said the injuries could be long term.
“Whenever there’s an instance like this and the injuries are significant like this, all of these individuals deserve compensation,” he said.
“What’s happened was not their fault.”
Whitsunday Transit was contacted but declined to comment.