Generator safety is paramount
Mr Brown said there were encouraging signs for the weeks ahead, with minimal forward bookings cancelled and business expected to pick up once power had returned to more hotel rooms in the region. DON’T put yourself and others at risk of electrocution.
This is Ergon Energy’s message to the Whitsunday region following a week of no power.
Ergon has identified cases where residents had used extension cords to plug generators into power points.
Customer delivery manager Chester Brodie said while power outages were frustrating, safety had to be the highest priority.
“Plugging a generator into a power point will send electricity through the customer’s switchboard into nearby Ergon Energy power lines,” he said.
“That poses a significant safety risk to Ergon Energy staff working on power lines or neighbours cleaning up around fallen power lines.”
Mr Brodie offered advice on the safest means to operate generators.
“We urge people using a generator to follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions,” he said.
“Generators should never be used inside. We also urge them to make sure they place the generator well away from open windows, doors and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to travel indoors.”
LOOKING GOOD: The Whitsunday islands look beautiful despite the experience of a Category 4 cyclone.