Driv­ing on Les Stagg

Whitsunday Times - - NEWS COURT -

A 37-YEAR-OLD Proser­pine man who did dough­nuts on Les Stagg Oval has been hit with a 12-month li­cence sus­pen­sion and a $1750 fine.

Mal­colm Brent Thomp­son also blew 0.160 fol­low­ing the in­ci­dent and pleaded guilty in court to four charges in­clud­ing driv­ing with­out a li­cence and wil­ful dam­age.

Proser­pine Mag­is­trates Court heard on Mon­day that po­lice were called about 8.45pm on June 20 last year af­ter a man was seen driv­ing on Les Stagg Oval.

Po­lice ar­rived and stopped Thomp­son and soon found tyre marks on the north­ern end of the oval near the try line. They also saw mud on the wheel guards of his car.

Thomp­son re­fused to give his full name and ad­dress to po­lice be­fore he was ar­rested. At the watch-house, po­lice also dis­cov­ered his li­cence had ex­pired.

De­fence so­lic­i­tor Cleo Re­wald, of Richards Re­wald Lawyers, said Thomp­son was go­ing through a re­la­tion­ship break­down at the time and had dis­cov­ered some trou­bling news about his daugh­ter on the day.

“He was drink­ing heav­ily at the time. This was the cul­mi­na­tion of a few per­sonal mat­ters,” she said.

Hav­ing not driven since the in­ci­dent, Thomp­son was dis­qual­i­fied from driv­ing for a fur­ther year and fined. Con­vic­tions were recorded.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.