PO­LICE DIG AT DUMP

Whitsunday Times - - FRONT PAGE - Ja­cob Miley

SCI­EN­TIFIC ex­plo­ration of the Bowen tip be­gan yes­ter­day in a bid to find new in­for­ma­tion on the dis­ap­pear­ance and sus­pected homi­cide of Rachel An­to­nio al­most two decades ago.

Speak­ing from the tip, Mackay Po­lice Dis­trict De­tec­tive In­spec­tor Nikki Colfs said of­fi­cers were ex­am­in­ing one area in par­tic­u­lar, a sec­tion in front of the ponds at the site.

She said the ex­am­i­na­tion had been prompted by a for­mer dump worker who had pro­vided po­lice with maps of the area.

The maps showed where he put the town’s rub­bish the week the 16-year-old went miss­ing in 1998.

Det Insp Colfs said by the end of the day po­lice would have an idea of what the work had pro­duced.

“It will de­pend on what they ac­tu­ally find, how long the refuse has been here, whether the refuse has been de­con­tam­i­nated through the last years,” she said.

“It’s quite a com­plex op­er­a­tion, but cer­tainly to­day do­ing a bit will cer­tainly give us a lot more in­di­ca­tion of the age and the depth of the rub­bish at that par­tic­u­lar time.”

Det Insp Colfs said the ex­am­i­na­tion was not a fi­nal bid to find Rachel An­to­nio, who was last seen on April 25, 1998.

“QPS are com­mit­ted to find­ing the re­mains of Rachel An­to­nio and we cer­tainly will con­tinue to seek in­for­ma­tion from the pub­lic if they have any knowl­edge or any in­for­ma­tion that could as­sist po­lice,” she said.

If you have any in­for­ma­tion call Po­licelink on 131 444.

PHOTO: TONY MARTIN

LOOK­ING FOR AN­SWERS: Po­lice started ex­plo­ration work at the Bowen tip yes­ter­day in a bid to un­cover new in­for­ma­tion about the dis­ap­pear­ance of Rachel An­to­nio.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.