THREE-ONION ‘VOKÉ’ BOWL
SERVES: 2 PER SERVE: 2514kj
This famous Hawaiian salad is based on raw fish and usually includes rice or noodles. It’s typically flavoured with onions and chilli. In my ‘voké’ version, onions prepared three ways top the rice in the bowls. The ginger jam is next-level delicious.
◆ 200g brown rice
◆ 100g radishes, thinly sliced ◆ 4 spring onions, sliced ◆ 1 green chilli, sliced
FOR THE CRISPY ONIONS
◆ 1 onion, cut into rounds and separated into rings ◆ 1 tsp rapeseed oil
FOR THE PICKLED ONIONS
◆ 1 red onion, sliced
◆ Juice of 2 lemons
FOR THE ONION AND GINGER JAM
◆ 1 tsp rapeseed oil
◆ 1 onion, sliced
◆ 1 tbs grated fresh root ginger ◆ 2 tbs honey
◆ 1 tsp ground ginger
◆ 1 tsp ground coriander
◆ Flaked sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. For the crispy onions, spread the onion rings on the baking tray and drizzle over the oil. Roast for 20 mins until crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. To prepare the pickled onions, heat a little oil in a small frypan and fry the onion over a medium heat for 10 mins until softened but not browned. Add the lemon juice and remove from the heat. Leave to cool, then tip into a bowl and place in the fridge to chill. The onions should turn bright pink.
4. For the onion and ginger jam, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and ginger for 10 mins until soft. Stir in the honey, ginger, coriander, salt and pepper with a splash of water, then simmer on a low heat for about 20 mins until the jam is soft and sticky. Add a little more water if it starts to catch. Set aside.
5. Put the rice in a pan with a pinch of salt and cover with three times the amount of water. Bring to the boil, then leave to simmer gently for 20–25 mins until the rice is tender and fluffy. Drain well.
6. To serve the voké, put a portion of the rice into each bowl, then add a spoonful each of the onion jam, radishes, spring onions and green chilli. Top the salad with some pickled and crispy onions.