Marrakech is famous for its vibrant and unique street food. Now, I’ve spared you healthy re-creations of some more typical dishes (including snail soup and sheep heads) and kept things simple with these fish skewers. I predict you’re going to fall in love with this tasty recipe.
◆ 4 x 180g barramundi fillets, cut into 3.5cm cubes
◆ 2 tbs melted butter, coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
◆ 2 small zucchini, cut into rounds
◆ 1 large carrot, cut into ribbons
◆ 1 red onion, cut into wedges
◆ 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
◆ 2 tbs finely chopped coriander leaves
◆ 2 tbs honey or pure maple syrup
◆ 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
◆ ½ red onion, roughly diced
◆ ½ tsp ground coriander
◆ ½ tsp ground cumin
◆ ½ tsp hot chilli powder
◆ ½ tsp ground cinnamon
◆ ¼ tsp ground allspice
◆ Zest and juice of 1 lemon
◆ Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
TO SERVE (OPTIONAL)
◆ Lemoncoconut tahini
◆ Zucchini hummus
1. To make the marinade, place all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well to combine.
2. Add the fish pieces to the marinade and toss to coat, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2–3 hours. (Lengthy marinating isn’t a must here, so if you’re short on time you can crack on with it.)
3. Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill pan to medium and brush with the butter or oil.
4. Thread the marinated barramundi, zucchini, carrot and onion wedges onto metal skewers in an alternating pattern, folding carrot ribbons back and forth onto the skewers to press them together well.
5. Grill skewers for 4–5 mins on each side, or until the fish is cooked through and vegies are tender and caramelised on the edges. Remove from heat. Serve with your favourite condiments, salads and sides.