The family fave Thai fish cakes
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 mins + standing time Cook time: 30 mins 225g brown basmati rice, rinsed and drained
3 tsp chia seeds (optional)
8 kaffir lime leaves, stems removed 600g boneless, skinless firm white fish fillets, roughly chopped
1 egg, plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten 75g red curry paste
3 tsp rice syrup or sugar
250g green beans, trimmed and thinly sliced
Coconut oil, for frying
Mixed salad leaves, to serve
Sweet chilli sauce, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 100°C. Add 1kg of water to the mixer bowl. Place the rice into the simmering basket and insert into the mixer bowl. Cook for 12–15 mins/100°c/speed 4 until the rice is tender. Carefully remove and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, soak the chia seeds, if using, in 2 tbs of water.
2. Chop the kaffir lime leaves for 5 secs/ speed 7. Add the fish and chop for 3 secs/ speed 4. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Add the soaked chia, rice, egg and egg white, curry paste, rice syrup and salt. Blend for 5 secs/speed 5.
Scrape down the side of the bowl. Add the beans and mix for 10 secs/speed 3.
3. Using slightly damp hands, shape the mixture into 12 fish cakes about
2.5cm thick. Heat the oil in a large frypan over medium heat then cook the cakes in batches for 2–3 mins each side, or until golden and cooked through. Keep warm in the oven as you go, then serve with salad and sweet chilli sauce.
Vegie burgers get a bad rap, but you won’t feel like you’re missing out with these ‘meaty’ patties. They’re so good, you’ll be calling up all your vegie friends to rave about them. That’s a promise! Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 10 mins 2 garlic cloves
2 x 400g tins kidney beans, rinsed and drained
50g buckwheat or chickpea flour 1 egg
30g (½ cup) roughly chopped basil or flat-leaf parsley
150g feta cheese
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 tbs olive oil
4 gluten-free burger buns (or milk buns if not gluten-free), halved 2 zucchini, halved crossways then cut into thin slices lengthways
Baby spinach leaves or rocket leaves Tomato and capsicum relish, to serve
1. Chop the garlic for 5 secs/speed 5. Add the walnuts and chop for 3 secs/speed 4. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Add the beans, buckwheat flour, egg, basil, half the feta, salt and some freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Mix for about 10 secs/speed 3 until well combined.
2. Preheat the grill (broiler) to high and line a baking tray with foil. Shape mixture into four patties about 2.5cm thick.
3. Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Cook burgers for 3 mins each side or until golden. Meanwhile, toast buns, cut side up, under the grill for 1–2 mins. Remove and set aside. Add zucchini to the lined tray. Crumble over remaining feta.
4. Grill the zucchini for 5 mins, or until the zucchini is tender and the feta is lightly golden. Serve the burgers in the buns with the spinach, zucchini slices and some tomato and capsicum relish.
Fish cakes are hard to refuse; they’re a real family favourite. The great thing about these ones is that they’re a meal in one: fish, rice, vegetables and wonderfully fragrant flavours in a single little package! Brown basmati rice is quick to cook, and a good source of essential nutrients.