More than 2m parish records released online
Latest data from The Genealogist covers three English counties
TheGenealogist has released well over three million parish records hailing from three English counties. More than 1.1 million new records have been added to the site’s Sussex collection (which encompasses both modern counties of East and West Sussex, but the new records relate to the latter), thanks to a partnership with the Parish Record Transcription Society. There are 717,000 baptisms in this release, as well as 213,000 marriages and 208,000 burials.
Among the records are those for the church of St Nicholas in Arundel, which has the unusual distinction of being a single building divided into Catholic and Anglican places of worship. The western half is the usual parish church, whose records are in the new data release, with the eastern Fitzalan Chapel is the traditional place of worship of the Dukes of Norfolk, Catholic owners of Arundel Castle. A physical barrier between the areas was only removed in 1979.
Some burials of the Fitzalan-Howard family interred there are nonetheless included in the new parish records, and The Genealogist also has Catholic registers for the chapel in the Registers of Arundel available at the site.
Meanwhile, the site has also released more than two million parish records from the West Country, namely baptisms from Somerset from 1538 to 1996 and burials (including crematorium records) for both Somerset and Dorset from 1563 to 2003. These have been made available via a partnership with Somerset and Dorset Family History Society.
The Genealogist is looking for further societies to partner with in this way. Its head of online development, Mark Bayley, said: ‘These partnerships help societies boost their funds whilst bringing their records to a much wider audience through online publication.’
Further details for societies are available at www.fhsonline.co.uk. The new parish records are available to Diamond subscribers at www. thegenealogist.co.uk.
StNicholaschurchinArundel, Sussex– theCatholicFitzalanChapelisontheotherside