Shamakhi, Tirat-Carmel become twin cities
the Ottoman and the British. The city is built on the ruins of the town of al-Tira.
Tirat Carmel was ruled by the Ottomans in late medieval and Renaissance times and was an agricultural area with wheat and goats and other farms. While conscription in the late 1800s harmed the town, it recovered, and by 1945 was an agricultural Muslim community with a Christian minority. The town was widely known for production of olives and almonds.