Forde calls for school­bag search squads Courts to be­come more ac­ces­si­ble

Daily Nation (Barbados) - - Front Page -

School prin­ci­pals and staff have been called on to en­force the power to search.

This call came from Cynthia Forde, Mem­ber of Par­lia­ment for St Thomas and for­mer Min­is­ter of Ed­u­ca­tion.

Forde said that un­less schools had a del­e­ga­tion of se­nior staff search­ing the chil­dren’s bags and mak­ing sure they did not bring in any weapons and con­tra­band, the sit­u­a­tion was go­ing to worsen.

She was speak­ing to the me­dia yes­ter­day against the back­drop of an in­ci­dent last week in which three Fred­er­ick Smith Sec­ondary School stu­dents al­legedly at­tacked and in­jured a pub­lic ser­vice ve­hi­cle (PSV) con­duc­tor with a cut­lass.

Forde, who par­tic­i­pated in a pre­sen­ta­tion at Sharon Pri­mary School yes­ter­day, said: “It would be an in­ter­est­ing thing if the Min­istry of Ed­u­ca­tion would start to look se­ri­ously at pur­su­ing the power to search as­pect of the leg­is­la­tion, be­cause a lot of chil­dren would have been tak­ing to school those weapons; if this is now a call that it is hap­pen­ing on a reg­u­lar ba­sis.”

With re­gard to the move by some PSV op­er­a­tors to ban school­child­ren from the ve­hi­cles, Forde said this was too sud­den and there was room for di­a­logue from all the stake­hold­ers, in­clud­ing the Min­istry of Ed­u­ca­tion, PSV op­er­a­tors, the Trans­port Author­ity and the Min­istry of Trans­port and Works.

“There may have been more but I don’t think that, that is the way you deal with it. I be­lieve that proper in­ves­ti­ga­tion needs to take place and you can­not just come overnight and make that kind of rad­i­cal ex­pres­sion with­out giv­ing it proper in­ves­ti­ga­tion and thought,” she said.

She en­cour­aged par­ents to dig into their chil­dren’s bag be­fore they leave home and when they come back from school. She ad­vised driv­ers that when there was dis­or­derly be­hav­iour on their ve­hi­cles they should go to the po­lice sta­tion. ( LK)

TO­DAY IS de­ci­sion day for An­dre “Lord Evil” Omar Jack­man.

This morn­ing he will find out if he loses his free­dom af­ter po­lice hauled him be­fore the High Court yes­ter­day for al­legedly breach­ing one of the con­di­tions of his bail on Oc­to­ber 28.

His at­tor­ney is cry­ing foul, say­ing Jack­man was be­ing sin­gled out since he was not the only per­son to breach bail con­di­tions.

Jack­man, 38, of Stroud Bay Road, Crab Hill, St Lucy, is on $175 000 bail in con­nec­tion with the May 10, 2016 mur­der of Charly Dume.

The ac­cused ap­peared in the No. 4 Supreme Court yes­ter­day be­fore Act­ing Jus­tice Al­rick Scott who heard ar­gu­ments from de­fence at­tor­ney Arthur Holder and his team of Sha­dia Simp­son, Danielle Mot­t­ley and Rhea Layne.

Crown Coun­sel Oliver Thomas asked the court to

AC­CUSED AN­DRE OMAR JACK­MAN (cen­tre) in the com­pany of his at­tor­neys Arthur Holder (left) and Rhea Layne (sec­ond right) and fam­ily mem­bers. (Pic­ture by Xtra Vi­sion Pho­tog­ra­phy.)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Barbados

© PressReader. All rights reserved.